It happened in Missouri, but retailers nation-wide are pulling powered formula off their shelves, and for good reason. A 10-day-old baby died after an exposure to the Cronobacter sakazakii bacteria, which can be found in dried milk and powered formula.
NBC News writes:
The source of the bacteria that caused the infection hasn't been determined, but it can be found in dried milk and powdered formula as well as naturally in the environment and in plants such as wheat and rice.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we are removing the formula from certain stores," SuperValu spokesman Mike Siemienas said Friday. "We will hold these products from sale until we receive additional guidance from regulatory authorities and the manufacturer."
Formula manufacturer Mead Johnson Nutrition Co. said earlier this week that tests showed the batch was negative for the bacteria before it was shipped. A company spokesman did not respond to several requests for additional comment Friday.
The company told investors it plans to retest saved samples from the recalled batch, but the company did not undertake its own recall.
Stores pulling the product from their shelves include Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and Shop 'n Save. While there were no talks of New York stores, there were in neighboring states New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
To get more information about the pulled formulas, click here.